Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011


Happy Thanksgiving!  The official holiday of over consuming food is upon us and it is followed by a day of rampant maniacal consumption of things.  Many bike shops and dealers are having some great specials to gear up or find a gift for a fellow cyclist.  
more...




Last week I posted a story on our Facebook page about a women that recovered her own stolen bike.  [link]  This I had come across after having posted the article You can Lock but Don't Touch.  I commend the young woman for her actions with some caution.  While it worked out well enough to make a headline story, things could have gone horribly wrong.  Thankfully they did not in this case, but it confirms the topic of my article on making sure you secure your bike properly with the right locks.  With Christmas around the corner it may be a good idea to get yourself or a fellow cyclist a good lock as a gift, just please refrain from buying those Lycra tights.  Nobody likes to see those no matter how buff or studly you are.


With the coming of the Thanksgiving holiday, it amazes me how long the riding season here in Wisconsin has been this year.  It has remained not only warm enough, but without ice or snow to impede a casual ride.  No special tires, or layers of extra clothing needed.  The only discouragement from a ride is the deer hunting season.  For those that live in town it isn't such a show stopper, but out in the rural areas it certainly can be.  A layer of orange may make you visible, but the general speed and flow of movement a bike travels is very similar to that of a deer.  I may have some faith in a few of the local hunters, but the number of "out of towners" that have swarmed to the public hunting areas along all of my nearest roads makes me nervous.  As such, I remain confined to the old Schwinn exercise bike.  At least there is that outlet for prepping my body for the Thanksgiving calorie attack.  I never say no to extra pie.

Unfortunately the lack of road time on the bike has not afforded me any extra time.  With a book project underway, and a number of volunteer projects, it seems to be building to a typical Holiday season of being busy.  May everyone have a happy and delicious Thanksgiving, and I will be back to normal posting next week.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...