Saturday, December 10, 2011

What a Concept 11: A Concept Far Far Away...

So last night I was sitting down to write the Friday What a Concept post, when my kids asked if they could pick a movie to watch.  I refused, telling them "not on a school night".  They corrected me, and proclaimed that it was Friday, the usual movie night.  And that is when I realized my week was off by one day.  So here is this weeks Friday post, only on my Friday, not yours.




As we approach Christmas, I am reminded of the wonderful world of Star Wars as I search the stores for a gift for my boys.  Imagine my surprise when later I stumbled across a great StarWars toy in the grand webosphere under bike concepts. 

The Dubike is a concept folding bike designed by David Fionik, a student at the Poland Bialystok Technical University.  The bike was created as a student project.  Many were impressed by the bikes unique design, and was one of the top 35 projects in the 2007 SolidWorks design Contest.  Fionik claims inspiration from the show Orange County Choppers.  

I contest some of that.  While an interesting and cool design for sure, it is not as original as many seem to think it is.  In fact, it would seem that the design owes a great deal to ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) of StarWars fame.  Please, compare the images and decide for yourself.




On the Top is the StarWars Destroyer Droid.  The one at the bottom is the Dubike


The Major differences between them is the minor issue of one being a heavily armed blaster bearing weapon of death, the other a bike. The similarities in design make me wonder about the true inspiration of the design. Maybe its just an awesome coincidence.  Either way, since it certainly doesn't look like a typical folding bike, its going to get a heavily biased StarWars fan, full Einstar review.  It certainly is something I would add to my collection.

6 Full Einstars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...