Friday, July 29, 2011

Worlds of Tourist

Lately I have been contemplating the use and function of my stable.  As I have posted before, my collection is getting fairly nice.  Several Varsity models, a Continental, a Sport, a Burgundy World Tourist, my Raleigh built Hercules 3, and 10 speed, among just a few.  My favorite of them all is the World Tourist.  So much so, that I have been looking to bolster my collection of parts to make sure I can keep it maintained in the years to come.
My Burgundy 84 World Tourist
Searching both craigslist and eBay, it has been fruitless.  Almost all of the results have been majorly high priced shoddy looking bikes with huge shipping costs.  Sort of depressing.

Monday, I came across a craigslist post for two complete World tourists, a men's and a woman's frame.  The price seemed high for what I expected to find, but curiosity made me pursue further.  After a few phone calls, and a day later, we headed off to Lacrosse with the family van.   Through several miles of back roads winding through some monster hills, and curves, we eventually found our way.  A beautiful area for sure.  We pulled up to the home of the seller with some apprehension of what they would look like.



Two 1982 Red World Tourists.  Mind you, these were the pictures posted, and they looked good in them, but I wasn't positive that it was actually the bikes in the pictures I was going to be buying.  As you can see they look like pics taken from an ad, or a picture of an ad. I've actually seen ads like these for local dealers.  Either way I was doubtful.  




After some introductions, he opened his garage door.  A nice collection of Schwinn's, and many other bikes filled it, but the two from the add didn't stand out.  Oh no.  They must be really bad.  There were a few in the shadows to the side that were hard to distinguish what they were.  My fears began to settle in.  We kept talking about the drive over, and his directions, and he leaned back with his hand on a bike behind him, then he asked if I wanted to see the two Tourists.  He stepped aside, and behind him sat two perfect Spicy Chestnut colored Schwinn's.  I was shocked.  Again I was tricked by pictures as to the true color of a bike.  This was another welcome surprise.   After an hour of chatting and swapping some stories, we loaded up the bikes.  He threw in two Schwinn lil' chik bikes as well, and some cardboard to pack them in well.  Along with the bikes, the tourists came with the original manuals, and two seat bags that I believe may have been aftermarket ones bought with the bikes.  The manufacturer Nova, now makes medical bags for walkers and wheelchairs.  Time to take the kids to lunch for being so patient and waiting during all this.



After leaving, we headed over to an old fashioned A&W drive-up for lunch.  Real fun, the kids love the old style kind of stuff, and this was one of the rare old style A&W's left.  Sit down service, or car side, and the food comes on a real plate.  Five frosty mugs later, and we were heading home.


Here is were it gets difficult for me.  I'm very much ADHD afflicted.  Trying to focus on anything other than the bikes, like getting home, so I could play with my new toys was torture.  We made one stop to pick up a book at the Barnes and Noble, and I grabbed an issue of Bicycle Times (more on that in a later post), and only two hours to wait.


Obviously I'm sitting at my computer now and we made it home safe.  The bikes all unloaded, played with, fondled, and ridden before being parked for the night.  They ride like dreams.  I would say maybe even better than my other World Tourist.  Not that there is any major difference, but it feels like a better fit.  It will take more riding to get an absolute feel for it, but our road is a great tester for such things.  I have already started planning for a tour with this one.  Since it is a matching set, I am also going to invite a special lady friend, so all we need now is matching t-shirts, helmets and jock jackets...  okay maybe that would be douchey, but the t-shirts are possible.


The Spec sheet

As for upgrading these beauties, give me some time.  I will start with the men's frame.  I have Ideas already,and have stuffed a pair of Bontager H2 tires on it.  If I decide to take it on a tour or long road trip, a pair of continental Gator skins, Tour rides, or the Schwalbe Marathons.  A Schwinn approved Super Sport headlight and generator are already clamped and wired on as of tonight.  Special care in the mounting to give it a over the handlebar bag position. It has been put through a thorough cleaning and polish from rims to chain.  The headset removed, cleaned, and lubed during the headlight install.  The wheels and spokes are like new.  A few little rust dimples, but they rubbed off with my chrome and metal cleaner easily.  The spokes cleaned from having that galvanized look, to being bright steel rods.  There are a few scratches in the paint, but nothing unusual or even typical for their age.  In fact overall they look like they were never used with exception to a move from one side of the garage to the other.  The derailleurs have some build up from hardened oil or grease, and the buildup looks clean.  I'm thinking these were some great decorations in someones garage since they were purchased new.

Super sport light, top center
Pulling apart the bottom bracket revealed nothing surprising.  All lube and bearings still packed with fresh looking original grease.  I added some extra to the contact points for the bearing races, and closed them up.  Too much grease is never a bad thing in the BB.
The only major flaw in either bike would be from the short kick stands.  Original, but strangely short, giving them both a severe tilt while at rest.  Its fine as is, but if I end up with any load weight, it will not do.  Add new kickstands to the list, water bottle cages, some valve caps for the tires in a nice anodized orange, racks, bags, and of course, the riders.  These poor bikes have been waiting far too long for some mileage, and its time they were given some.
Currently, I am expecting a vintage Schwinn handlebar bag to come in the mail.  My current estimate is that is from between 1974-78 by looking in the catalogs.  It should sit nicely on the front of my new Tourist.  Along with some old bells from the stash, I think I can make these some conversation starters on the trails, and paths we have planned to visit. Once we finish some of the other projects, and my kids get their own rides done, we will definitely stand out.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...